The Alliance Hotel, today
Street view from the 1970s.
The Alliance Hotel, Spring Hill
150 Years of stories and historic tales.
In early 1864 the first Alliance Hotel was established. Driven by the need to accommodate Queensland's economic boom the new building - the building we see today, was built in 1888.
The hotel is renowned for its colourful past and has a history of being a bit 'left-of-centre'. It has been identified that in 1878 the original licensee, Charles Zachariah Bertheau, apparently produced Australia's first absinthe in Queensland. Unfortunately both he and his wife Mary Ann were admitted to a mental asylum some time around the 1890’s, according to the Mental Asylum Records of Queensland...
Fast forward to 2012 where new licensee Nick Gregorski and wife Meagan, decided it was time to give the old girl a new lease on life and set about restoring the inside of the hotel to reflect a modern, yet contemporary pub atmosphere. The brief was simply to create a venue where people would feel welcome and at home the minute they walked through the door.
The Alliance Hotel these days is all about exceptional service and food accompanied by a great selection of wines, beers and spirits - and the odd glass of absinthe, set in beautiful relaxed surrounds.
In October 2013 and again in 2014 The Alliance Hotel was awarded the prestigious honour of being named Queensland's 'Best Restaurant - General Division' by the Queensland Hotels Association.